Omar Khairat Concert

WOW! Is there anything better? I just saw a famous Egyptian Composer in an open-air concert, get this, at the Alexandrian Library one block from the Mediterranean Sea. His name is Omar Khayrat and he is Egypt’s most famous classical/modern composer. It was awesome! The weather had a soft breeze from the west, the music was incredible (kind of seemed like James Bond Music it I were to compare it to anything) with variations in the string section, percussion, and obviously the ‘oud (that Middle Eastern twangy guitar thing).

After we all went to Mahatat Mecca (not in Saudi Arabia) to grab a drink. This was my first one:


It is called the “Borio” if you need a name. Can you guess why? If not, it is liquid Oreos. But typical me I don’t even think about what I can drink at midnight and so down it went… most of it. It was so think and sugary that I had to stop. It wasn’t shortly thereafter that I felt more gurgling in my belly than I had ever felt before. So I had to stop. My Program director them directed me to drink this: It’s called al-Asad (the lion).
I suppose it is because it lightens the blow of the Borio. Nye, they are arch enemies and my stomach was the battlefield. But needless to say I lived. But when I woke up the next day, that is when the real fun began. In Arabic they always greet each other with the saying “Sabaah il-Kheer” (morning of wellness, I suppose) and one needs to respond with “Sabaah an-Nour” (morning of light). I however responded (to those who were with me through this iron intestine test) with Sabaah il-Borio! (morning of the Borio). They laughed as you can imagine the great finale to the wonderfully (in the sense of awe, not in the sense of enjoyment) waged war inside.

The next day we took a bike ride along the coast from one end of Alexandria to the other (Keep in mind, there are 4 million people here so it was more than a brief stroll.) We were on the coastal highway the whole time which made for some awesome traffic dodging.

But because of the concert, I was determined that day to find out more about Egyptian music. So I went and bought some CD’s. One woman musician, (half Philipino/half Egyptian), named Shireen Kattar Khairi, I particularly enjoy. You men would understand if you had a wife and three daughters at home like I do. Free youselves! J/K! My heck. But watch and enjoy.



Well that is it for today! Next week Sanai for 4 days.